With permission from the authors, I'll publish them.

THIS ISSUE SPONSORED BY:
The Family of David & Marie Cairns

PLEASE FORWARD THIS ISSUE TO OTHER INTERESTED 'DETROITERS'
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE:  CLICK HERE       BECOME A NEWSLETTER SPONSOR: CLICK HERE
Detroit Memories NEWSLETTER

I N   T H I S   I S S U E
APRIL 2011
www.DetroitMemories.com
HOME OF 'YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM DETROIT IF...'
Over 2,630 subscribers!
SHARE YOUR MEMORIES
WITH 1,961 MEMBERS!

Add this page to your favorites.
APRIL BRAIN TEASER
DETROIT INDOOR THEATERS
Something a little different this month.
It's a crossword containing 49 of Detroit's Indoor Theaters.
All were operating in the 50s, 60s and 70s...and some are still open.
All were in the city of Detroit proper.
SAFARI LAND RESTAURANT
Hi Eileen,

Great story and interview with Harry Jarkey (March 2011 issue). I have wondered often what happened to him. Back around 1957 at Pleasantview Elementary School in East Detroit, one of my kindergarten classmates was Juliana Jarkey, Harry's daughter. It was only natural, I supppose, that our class took a field trip to Broadcast House for a visit to Harry's show. I do remember some parts of the trip, including Ricky the Clown entertaining us and looking at myself in a monitor trying to figure out how I got on TV. My big memorable moment was when Soupy Sales came out of his dressing room to talk to us and patted me on the head. Strange memories of a six year old...

I am happy to see that Mr. Jarkey is doing so well these days, and thanks to you for bringing this info to your web friends.

Fred Jorgensen
Pahrump NV

The Roostertail, circa 1960s

Eileen,

What a wonderful site you've created! I saw Harry Jarkey's piece where he mentioned the Roostertail. I think there are a lot of people who not only have great memories of it and the hydroplane races, but also the UpperDeck and the Motown Mondays. Hope to see you at the Roostertail sometime!

Diane Schoenith
Owner, The Roostertail
St. Ladislaus 1962

Eileen,

The video of Harry Jarkey was precious! It brought back so many great memories for me that tears were streaming down my face. May God bless this wonderful 90+ man. Eileen you are doing so much good for people who want to go back to the "good old days." Keep it up.

Kathie Doty
Plymouth, MI
HARRY JARKEY
CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE

DETROIT QUONSET HUTS
Photo taken Aug. 21, 1949

In the Feb 2011 issue, I asked if anyone recognized the
location of the photo above. Quite a folks responded.
CLICK HERE
to read the emails I received. Here's another:

Hi Eileen -

Just saw the photo of my sister, Jan Carter, and me inside our Quonset Hut. The photo above was not taken at Conner and Gratiot (all the way to Warren). Ours did not have the overhang and were not so close together. There is a quonset on a business lot on
22 Mile Road in Shelby Twp near Ryan Road that looks like the one we lived in.

I didn't know there were quonsets on the west side too, so maybe that's where this was taken.

Keep up the good work. I am always telling someone about the Detroit Memories website.

Linda Ritzert Scope
Washington Township MI
LITTLE HARRY'S RESTAURANT
In last month's issue (March 2011), Lee Dixon inquired about a gentleman he'd known and lost touch with. I'm pleased to say the mystery has been solved.

Eileen,

The gentleman Lee Dixon refers to was Raymond Meurer, an attorney who handled the franchising of The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet and other properties owned by George W. Trendle. He eventually owned the characters as part of Trendle-Campbell-Meurer Productions. Meurer died in 1974.

Ed Golick
www.detroitkidshow.com
Detroit MI

Eileen,

Many compliments on your continued efforts with Detroit Memories.

I noticed the question regarding Ray Meurer. He was one of the original owners
of The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet and Challenge of the Yukon. If you listen to one of the old radio shows, at the very end, our late friend Fred Foy will refer to them as "a copyrighed feature of Trendle-Campbell-Meurer Incorporated." George Trendle owned WXYZ radio, Alan Campbell was the VP of Sales, and Meurer was their attorney and part owner.

For anyone interested in this part of Detroit history I highly recommend Dick Osgood's book: WYXIE Wonderland - The Unauthorized Diary of a Radio Station." However, it's now out of print and a collector's item.

One last point: All three of those programs were originated and written by Fran Striker. Trendle paid him about $10 a script.

Best Regards,
Lee Alan
www.leealansblog.blogspot.com

THANK YOU Eileen, Ed and Lee!

Ray Meurer (he always insisted that I call him "Ray") was very nice man who gave me a lot of guidance and inspiration. Thank you for the information. It really triggered some memories. WOW!

Leon "Lee" Dixon
Here's a video clip of Sagebrush Shorty
talking about all of the toys that
Muirhead's (Feb 2011 and March 2011 issues), had donated to his show.
Submitted by by Ed Golick, www.DetroitKidShow.com

www.detroitkidshow.com/muirheads.wmv
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Eileen --

I just joined your site and thought you might find this menu interesting. I don't have a picture of the Safari Land Restaurant but I kept a couple of the unique menus from the late '50s. It was located on the corner of Conner and Gunston on Detroit's east side. I lived nearby as a kid — until I-94 went through my parents house on Malcolm and we were forced to move. When I graduated from high school in 1960, my parents offered to take as many friends to this restaurant as dared to go. We only had THREE takers.

Phil Dersam
St. Clair MI
Lowrey HS, '60
RAYMOND MEURER
MUIRHEAD'S TOY DEPARTMENT
Eileen,

I lived in Grosse Pointe my entire life until I moved away
14 years ago. My family was in the fine dining restaurant
business for 50 years in Detroit. We owned Little Harry's,
Cliff Bells, The Golden Lion, The Kingsley Inn, Phillips
Cafeteria, The Showboat, The Old Place (Grosse Pointe),
The King's Table and others.

I would love to see some information on Little Harry's
(2681 East Jefferson, Detroit). It was a local historical landmark, but also on the National Register in Washington, D.C. through the Department of the Interior.

Gail Phillips
Hilton Head Island SC

Eileen:

I wandered upon the question about the early Detroit TV host who responded to the off camera question “Ready Mr. Dale?” with “Roll ‘Em.” Bob Dale was his stage name; his real name was Graydon Goss.

Graydon was my second cousin, almost 45 years older – my parents’ generation. I still recall seeing him in “Stagecoach” at a small theatre around Detroit. He also did some of the voices on the WXYZ-originated radio shows. He was born in 1906 in Kansas. In 1961, he married and moved to a suburb of Columbus OH where he died in 1992.

Ed Goss
Lombard, Illinois
GRAYDON GOSS / BOB DALE
Eileen --

You sure are good at digging up great memories of my 50+ years in Detroit!

First my dad's famous quonsets and then I see in this issue
(March 2011) a picture of my favorite birthday memory which
was Hedge's Wigwam where every June 6th for about 10 or
more years, my family would ask me where I wanted to spend
my birthday and I always chose Hedge's. Loved the indian
wood atmosphere and, of course, what kid didn't want to go
to a cafeteria? But the best part was their unbeatable
chicken pot pies in a crock. Yummmmmmmm! Then the night
would finish off with my purchase of maple sugar candy in
the gift shop. Bears or soldiers? What a tough choice!

Loved Detroit Dragway and went a bunch of times with
buddies. But, besides the deafening roar of the cars, the
best part was the radio promos throughout the week advertising who would be there like "Color Me Gone" this weekend at "Detroit Dragwayyyyyyyyyy...Sibley at Dix!"

Bill Morton
West Chester OH
LOVIN' THE MEMORIES OF DETROIT
Hi, Eileen,

The photo above is of the crew that served the restaurant atop the Hotel Park Shelton circa 1955. The huge nearby building in the upper right corner is the Maccabees. The downtown Detroit skyline forms the rest of the backdrop. Parts of the Detroit Institute of Arts can be seen through the balusters. There have been many changes to this view since that time.

The gentleman in the white tux jacket and bow tie is my
brother, G. Kenyon Wickman (called Ken) who was the
maitre d'. I don't know the names of any of the others.
Perhaps someone remembers the accordionist.

The others photos (shown in the insets at right) are views around the dining area taken before the restaurant opened for service on that particular day.

Stan Wickman
Livonia MI
HOTEL PARK SHELTON
CLICK ON PHOTOS
TO ENLARGE
Eileen --

Thought you might really enjoy this new site. They also have an iphone app for it.  http://whatwasthere.com

Regards,
Gary Spondike
Detroit Area Art Deco Society
WHAT WAS THERE
THE ORIGINAL MARVELETTES:
MOTOWN'S MYSTERY GIRL GROUP

Reading about the passing of Gladys Horton (March 2011) reminded me of a book I own and can highly recommend,
since it's the only comprehensive history of the group.

Looks like it's getting tougher to find.

Elizabeth Lowe
Las Vegas NV
THE MARVELETTES
I went to McFarlane Elementary during the 50s. At lunch time, I walked home and had my tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich with Lunch with Soupy.

In the late 60s, I was working at WXYZ-TV as a still photographer. The station produced a 25th Anniversary Special of the Soupy shows. It was amazing to me that I'd watched him as a kid and then as an adult. After the taping, he was brought to my office/darkroom to see what I'd captured. We talked and he loved the photos. Everything was great until I mentioned that I watched his show as a youngster. At that point, it was as though I'd hit him right between the eyes with the age problem. He seemed noticeably shaken. End of visit. Talent never liked to deal with the age thing. We ended up sending the contact sheet of the show to the Detroit Free Press and it was the cover of Detroit Magazine.

Ron Shirk
Lakeland FL
SOUPY SALES
Hi Eileen,

Frijd Pink has a brand new CD out with
Repertoire Records in Germany.

Rick Stevers
Frijid Pink (drummer)
Allen Park MI
Eileen,

Not much of a participater but I read each monthly Detroit Memories Newsletterwith unbridled joy and rememberence. You have filled a huge void in a lot of people's lives and are deserving of any and all accolades directed your way.

I graduated from Cooley in 1951 and worked for "Ma Bell" in Detroit. Chase Sneadwas my best man at my wedding. I met many of the Channel 7 staff through him.

Jerry LaMotte
Garden City MI
FRIJID PINK
THANKS...
EXPORTED FROM DETROIT
While traveling* on I-10 in west Phoenix last month,
I spotted this Dodge truck with a "FROMDET" Arizona license plate
and the "D" in their back window. Of course, I have no idea who the owner is
but maybe they (or someone they know) will see this and come forward.
(*Yes, I took the picture through my windshield.)

If you live outside of MI and have a 'Detroiter sighting,'
snap a photo and email it to me at eileen@detroitmemories.com.
Furnish me with the where and when details and I'll publish it in a future Newsletter.
Eileen,

It was great meeting and visiting with you at the Red Wings-Phoenix Coyotes game on March 5th. Hope to gather with everyone again.

After the disgraceful 3rd period, OT and shoot-out, I walked around the area to let traffic clear. I went into Just Sports and met a guy who'd moved from Southgate MI to Chandler AZ in 2009. Of course, he‘s a Red Wings fan. I passed on information about Detroit Memories, suggested he check it out and maybe join the group for the next outing.

Thanks again for your efforts in putting this event together!

Roberta Humphrey
Anthem AZ

DETROIT DRAG STRIP
MEMORIES
READ WHAT OUR NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIBERS HAD TO SAY!

CLICK HERE
JAPAN TSUMANI
A firsthand account from Bob White,
a former Detroiter living in Zushi City.

Note to Subscribers: As a rule, I generaly don't publish this type of
information in the Newsletter, but after reading Bob's email,
I felt that some of you might be interested in reading his account
of the event. It also helps us put a 'familiar face' on this tragedy.

March 15, 2011
Hello Eileen,

Thank you for your concern about my family, myself and Japan. Things here are not so good. Some of the air in the area we live (Zushi City near the American Yokosuka Naval Base, one hour south of Tokyo) has shown small amounts of radiation. We are asked to wear a mask and hat if we have to go out, but it is best to stay inside. The videos of the tsunami are really heartbreaking. The warning about a tsunami came to us quickly as we can set up our cell phones to receive the warning after it is issued. However,
I think, from the time of the warning to when the tsunami hit was about 12 minutes. So, if you were living with an older person it was almost impossible to get to higher ground. It really brings home the importance of family.

I was at the high school where I work in Tokyo on the day of the earthquake. Man, the school buildings were rock 'n rollin'. I have been through many earthquakes in my 25 years in Japan but never have seen anything like that one. It must have lasted about 1 minute and it just kept getting stronger and stronger and stronger. Then came the after-shocks and they came pretty regularly. Another teacher and I ran outside to the sports ground five different times. They only way I can describe it is to say it is like being on a boat that never, ever stops rocking. That's what the ground was like for 35 minutes. Man, that is a trip I hope I never have to take again!

Of course, the trains all came to an immediate halt so I was stuck at school overnight. Howeer, they were well prepared with blankets, food and water.  Many people got stuck at the stations overnight. Other people ended up buying bicycles to ride home or walked for a few hours if they lived close enough. Convenience stores, supermarkets and other stores were super crowded but everything was quite organized, no real craziness. We are on six hour rotating blackouts to conserve electricity. The big problem now, and it is a big one, is try to get control of the reactors that are melting down.

It was nice to receive your email because earlier today I was reading the posts in the Detroit Memories Discussion Group about Camp Dearborn (one of my favorite places ever!), Eastland and the Detroit Mounted Police Department and the Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It gave me a bit of an escape from the current situation we are facing and back to time of my life that was really, really enjoyable. I enjoy the escape that Detroit Memories gives me. My life here in Asia is quite enjoyable, and I also have fond, fond memories of growing up in the wonderful city of Detroit in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

People here always ask me where I am from and everyone knows about Detroit (I actually grew up in Oak Park, 11 Mile and Coolidge). They always say something like, "Oh, the car city."  Or, "Yes, I know Detroit, Motown, I love the Supremes." They use many, many old Motown songs as background music for TV commercials and it always brings a tear to my eye.

Things are difficult right now but my wife Kazuyo and I feel very fortunate because of what we have compared to the people up north. We don't need anything and we really, really appreciate your thoughts and positive energy and all the help the international community is giving us.

Once again thank you for your concern for Japan.  

In peace and love,

Bob White
Berkley HS '69,
DETROIT ROCK 'n' ROLL RADIO
POSTER
Designed by Grande Ballroon poster artist Carl Lundgren.
Available on eBay for $15
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
You must have PDF reader software on your computer to print the two-page file.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MARCH 2011 CONTEST
WHAT DO THESE FORMER DETROITERS
HAVE IN COMMON?

CLICK HERE FOR THE
MARCH 2011 CONTEST WINNERS!
HOW TO SUPPORT DETROIT MEMORIES
WEBSITE & NEWSLETTER

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

SHOP
www.EverythingDetroitStore.com
and purchase something to wear, read or view!
The revenues generated from the store (including Amazon.com purchases)
help offset the website and newsletter expenses.

- OR -

DONATE
If you enjoy visiting the Detroit Memories website or
receiving this Newsletter,
consider making a donation. The amount doesn't matter.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

- OR -

SPONSOR A NEWSLETTER FOR ONLY $20!*
An individual, a group or a company can sponsor a
Detroit Memories Newsletter.
This issue will reach
Over 2,630 subscribers!

INTERESTED IN BEING A SPONSOR?
Complete a Sponsor Application

*$20.00 per issue. Detroit Memories reserves the right to accept only appropriate Sponsors. Once approved, prepayment requested via PayPal or by check.

Your name will appear in the main banner and below and will be
a permanent part of this Newsletter in the Past Issues archive
www.DetroitMemories.com/Newsletters.html

THIS ISSUE OF THE
DETROIT MEMORIES NEWSLETTER
IS SPONSORED BY:
Metro Detroit Grade School & High School
ALUMNI WEBSITES
for '50s, '60s or '70s grads

Got one that should be listed here?
Email Eileen

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL GS
olgcdetroit.com

PERSHING HS
http://pershingalumni.ning.com

REDFORD UNION HS (BY CLASS)
redfordunionhighschool.org/alumni-by-class.html

REDFORD HS ~ CLASS OF '59
www.redford59.com/class_index.cfm

REDFORD HS ~ CLASS OF '70-'80
FACEBOOK

REGINA HS ~ CLASS OF '66
FACEBOOK
Classreport.org/usa/mi/harper_woods/rhs/1966/

ROYAL OAK HS ~ CLASS OF '57
www.RODHS1957.com

ST. AMBROSE HS ~ CLASS OF '69
www.ambrose69.com

ST. ANDREW HS ~ CLASS OF '62
standrewhighscool1962.classquest.com

ST. BARTHOLOMEW
FACEBOOK

ST. GREGORY HS
stgregoryalumni.com

ST. JOAN OF ARC GS
www.stjoanalumni.net/index.cfm

UofD JESUIT
http://uofdjesuit.org/

WATERFORD TWP HS ~
CLASSES OF '52, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59, '62
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1952/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1955/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1956/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1957/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1958/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1959/
www.classreport.org/usa/mi/waterford/wths/1962/

CATHOLIC CENTRAL
www.catholiccentral.net

CASS TECH ALUMNI
casstechhigh.ning.com

CASS TECH HONORARIUM
FACEBOOK

CENTRAL HS ~ CLASS OF '59
detroitcentralhigh.ning.com

CHADSEY HS ~ CLASS OF '58
www.Chadsey1958.com

CHERRY HILL HS
http://chhsinkster.com/

COOLEY HS ~ CLASS OF '67
http://classreport.org/usa/mi/detroit/cooley/1967/

DENBY HS ~ CLASS OF '74
denby74.com

GROSSE POINTE HS ~ CLASS OF '61
gphs61.myevent.com

HENRY FORD HS
http://forums.delphiforums.com/henryfordhigh

LAKEVIEW HS ~ CLASS OF '59
www.lakeview1959.com

NATIVITY HS ~ CLASS OF '69
http://Nativity69.com/

NORTHEAST DETROIT ALUMNI
FACEBOOK
If you lived in NE Detroit prior to 1985,
this group is for you.
Boundaries are between 6 Mile Road (South)
and 8 Mile Road (North),
Lake St. Clair (East) and Van Dyke (West).

NOTRE DAME HS
www.friendsofnotredame.com

OSBORN HS ALUMNI
FACEBOOK #1       FACEBOOK #2

JOIN US!
DETROIT MEMORIES
on Facebook
~~~~~~~~

Discover who your 'Detroiter' neighbors are.
Share your memories of Detroit.
Get together for Tigers, Lions, Pistons or Wings games...whatever!

Check out the Detroiters Group in your area:

Arizona-Detroiters Group (51 Members)
up
California-Detroiters Group (43 Members)

Florida-Detroiters Group (74 Members)

Georgia-Detroiters Group (10 Members) NEW!

Illinois-Detroiters Group (6 Members) NEW!

Michigan-Detroiters Group (195 Members)

Nevada-Detroiters Group (16 Members)

New York-Detroiters Group NEW!

Texas-Detroiters Group (40 Members)

Want a Detroit Memories Facebook Group for your state?
I currently have requests for Pennsylvania, Missouri & North Carolina.
Email me

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM MICHIGAN IF...
You Know You're From Michigan If...
DETROIT MEMORIES NEWSLETTER
IS A PUBLICATION OF DETROIT MEMORIES LLC

EDITOR
EILEEN TROMBLEY GLICK
REGINA HS '66

www.DetroitMemories.com
Home of
"You Know You're From Detroit If..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

© 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
DETROIT MEMORIES LLC

No portion of this Newsletter is to be copied, reproduced or reprinted
without the express permission of Detroit Memories LLC.

GET YOUR OWN FREE SUBSCRIPTION!

Delivered to your email inbox on or before the 5th of each month.

PRIVACY POLICY:
Your email address will never be sold or distributed to anyone, ever!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

DETROIT MEMORIES NEWSLETTERS
P A ST   I S S U E S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS

Are you receiving this Newsletter as text instead of HTML?
Do we have your city and state information?
Have you joined a 'Detroiters' group?
Do we have the name of the Detroit area high school you attended?

Update or change your information by clicking on the preferences link
at the bottom of the email notification sent to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOT COMMENTS,
COMPLIMENTS, QUESTIONS or SUGGESTIONS?
Find an error in the Newsletter?
I want to hear from you!

Email Eileen

PLEASE, BEFORE YOU EMAIL ME...
While I very much enjoy receiving personal emails from Detroiters,
especially those that contain memories of Detroit in the 50s, 60s and 70s,
I am politely requesting that you NOT forward the 'generic' nostalgia
emails with no Detroit-related content. Thank you!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Submit Your Memories
for the
"You Know You're From Detroit If..." list

Homestead an Intuit Co.
TWIN PINES 1:43 TRUCKS
DET MEM TSHIRTS
DET MEM POSTER
DETROIT BOOKS
DETROIT DVDs
JEWISH
COMMUNITY
DETROIT DVDs
REMEMBER WHEN
DETROIT MEMORIES MOUSEPAD
DETROIT BOOKS
DETROIT PRINTS
DET SNACK FOOD
DET SNACK FOOD
DETROIT MUSIC
MOTOWN
DETROIT PRINTS
AMAZON GIFT
CERTIFICATES
The Detroit Memories Newsletter and website are created with INTUIT software.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For a complete list of all of the
Tours, Exhibits and Special Programs,
go to:

www.detroithistorical.org

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

DETROIT HISTORICAL MUSEUM
5401 Woodward Ave. (NW corner of Kirby)
Detroit Cultural Center
(313) 833-1805
www.detroithistorical.org

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

offered by the Detroit Historical Society, your complete history resource!
To subscribe: http://www.detroithistorical.org/main/enews.aspx
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
STEWART McMILLIN's DETROIT TOURS

UPCOMING
June 16 ~ Detroit Riverfront Walking Tour
Sept 15 ~ Albert Kahn Tour
Sept 29 ~ Mt. Elliott & Elmwood Cemetary Tour
Oct 27 ~ Woodlawn and Woodmere Cemetary Tour

Visit www.mcmillintours.com/2011.html

Something nostalgic for you or someone you know.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

YOUR PLACE FOR NOSTALGIC GIFTS!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

WHERE YOU'LL FIND EVERYTHING
DETROIT !

www.everythingdetroitstore.com
Your purchases support the Detroit Memories Website & Newsletter

THE CAIRNS FAMILY
In memory of
David & Marie, Detroit MI
from their 7 children
Dolores / St. Gregory '49